Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Cozumel, Mexico

This is a map of the island of Cozumel. The town is San Miguel, and that is where our ship docked. We arrived about 11:00am and left around 8:30pm, so were were ashore about 8 hours total.


The guys I was with and I rented a jeep for about $100 for the day, but at $20 each it was much cheaper than the organized shore excursions offered on the cruise, plus we got to go where ever we wanted. Krishna is driving (he put it on HIS credit card), Brad my roomie is riding shotgun (at 6'2" he wouldn't fit in the back), Gautam is in the back seat foreground and Alfred is in the background. I wedged my skinny bum next to Alfred on the passenger side.



We spent about 3 hours at the Playa Mia beach resort. I spent most of in sailing the Hobie Cat in the background. We had to stay between two piers about a mile apart, but could go out as far as we wanted. Needless to say we were WAY out there (about two miles). We had a nice breeze most of the time so the boat would go between 6 and 8 knots. The water was crystal clear and with the coral sand bottom was very pretty blue.


Of course no trip to Mexico would be complete without a taste of the local cuisine. We drove to San Miguel and then started looking. The guys were REALLY NERVOUS about the sketchy-looking places I wanted to stop but this one looked perfect and I insisted. Maybe it was the mermaid... The food turned out to be FABULOUS, and Alfred admitted that maybe Randy CAN tell how to spot a good place to eat



Here we are eating five chicken and five fish tacos plus rice, beans and soft drinks all for about $24 total plus tip.


Our food came with some amazing green salsa picante. So good but pretty hot. I dabbed it on my tacos, but Krishna decided that he would put entire spoonfuls on his plate despite our warnings. This video captured his reaction:


This is our ship from the dock as we were reboarding. I put the camera on a wall with the flash turned off.


2 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

Clearly, any place to eat named "Cockteleria La Serenita" is a good choice. How can you go bad with a cocktail lounge named The Little Mermaid? It looks just like my kind of eatin'

Jarom

Jarom and Melissa said...

Sounds like a fun trip. I'm still envious. . . and that's coming from someone at home on bed rest.
-- Melissa