Friday, August 29, 2008

Japan Day Five: Out and About in Tokyo

This was my last full day in Japan, so I took a train at 10am to Tokyo to do some sightseeing. First I went to a big temple I visited two years ago in a town called Asakusa. I saw this sign in the subway and found it amusing:
Then I went the opposite direction to the "skyscraper district" called Shinjuku. Microsoft has a big office there and I was able to find it with some help from a nearby hotel concierge. This was the sign in front:
These girls put Sumer in the Denver office to shame with their matching uniforms. This is the entrance to the Executive Briefing Center floor. The worker-bees inhabit two floors above this one and they dress pretty much like Microsofties everywhere: business casual or less.
If you've every visited a Microsoft office in the US you are probably aware that sodas are free. I was surprised to find that this vending machine cost 50 yen (about 45 cents) a can, but what a selection. I bought a couple cans of Mountain Dew just because of the Japanese language. I'm bringing them home for display in my cubical.
Then I found the "free" drink machine. You have to insert a paper cup and then you get your soda. But no Mountain Dew :( .
Across from Microsoft's office was this new Krispy Kreme shop that seems to be pretty popular given the line outside. I decided not to wait in line....
This is the DOCOMO tower as seen from outside the Microsoft building. They call the area it is in "Times Square".
This evening was the student project presentations followed by the "graduation party". Here are some of the students in the group along with Dan Manson and me.

2 comments:

Allie Thornbrue said...

That's a nice picture of you down at the bottom. Is there a story that I don't know behind Mountain Dew?

Randy said...

Mountain Dew has more caffeine than Coke or Pepsi, and is very popular at Microsoft and happens to be a personal favorite, but I am only an occasional drinker because of the buzz. I use it like Ritalin when I can't stay awake to do an unpleasant task :).