Sunday, August 17, 2008

Toronto, Canada

Last Wednesday I flew to Toronto, Canada for a conference. Microsoft is a major sponsor, and it is a great opportunity to reach a lot of faculty. One of Toronto's most recognizable landmarks is its "Space Needle". This picture was taken from in front of my hotel.
This one was taken from the nearby waterfront using a camera on a tripod so the picture wouldn't be blurry.


We stayed at the Fairmont Royal York. Its an older but nice hotel right in the financial district.
The hotel had a very upscale tobacco shop, and this late 1800's lead toy soldier set was in the window. If you enlarge the picture you'll see that the British soldiers are fighting African natives. The figures are fairly realistic, as are the some of the poses of killed fighters on both sides.



3 comments:

Allie Thornbrue said...

Cool toys. I don't mind "historical violence." I'd actually let Ben play with a set like that when he is a little older.

Anonymous said...

Randy,
The enelargement was great. I love history. I feel bad when people die, I know it is life but it still makes me sad.
YOUR SHARING A LOT OF HISTORY AND i LIKE THAT.
gRANDMA pEARL

Rabecca said...

What fun places you have been able to visit. Maybe Jane will travel with you on e of these times now that Seth has other parental company? The kids enjoyed seeing the figurines.