Saturday, January 9, 2010

Here is Where I Draw the Line

I've done some things I'm not proud of, but one the things that REALLY embarrasses my family is my liking, almost passion for Tinas Burritos (http://www.tinasburritos.com). If you've not seen or heard of these, they are the cheapest food in the store. Period. I've seen these for FIVE for a DOLLAR. The Target store across the way has them in the freezer section this week for .33 each. My personal favorites are the "Red Hot Beef" and "Beef and Bean/Green Chile". Since they don't sell the Red Hot Beef in our local stores (too hot for Colorado palates?), I substitute the Spicy Beef and Bean. I have even ordered the Red Hot Beef from the local King Soopers once. For some reason I love to eat two of them with lots of cold milk. Warning: Avoid eating two if you have to present in front of an audience in the following six hours. Jarom was giving me grief the other day about my snack, so I randomly looked up the company to see if there was a way I could get the local store to carry my favorite flavor. Somewhat to my surprise I found they actually had a fairly-decent website, but what surprised me more was the fact that they offered "great recipes" for which these burritos are the main ingredients. Curious, I checked these out and here is where I draw the line. These are not "great" recipes. These are pretty darn nasty. Okay, so to most people, these burritos are pretty gross. Cutting up a few of your "favorite" burritos, putting french fries on them and topping off with melted cheese isn't a "great" recipe. Or how about a fried egg and salsa on top of a couple for "huevos rancheros"? Or my worst favorite, chocolate mole sauce with crumbly cheese. I'm a simple person. I'll take mine pure and undefiled thank-you.











5 comments:

scooping it up said...

SIIIIICK!!
Tina's burritos are only one of the the "food" items that made me into the crazy natural eater I am today. :)

Jarom and Melissa said...

Disgusting! I'm all for convenience foods, but not when you're adding other ingredients to make them even worse. Yuck!

Leah said...

Tina's burritos are a great snack! I dip each bite in sour cream and some mild sauce from Taco Bell. AWESOME!!!
I even like them cold.

Allie Thornbrue said...

Randy, I've asked my local grocery store to carry the red hot beef. They said that they are too popular, so people don't buy the other flavors. Seriously. I think they need to take Econ 101. -James

Lori Thornbrue said...

I, personally, like the bean and cheese ones.....But beans are one of my very favorite foods anyway. I think they make a great snack, but I would leave the recipes alone!