Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ski Season Opener

We have had a very rainy summer and cool temperatures, and last week we had a bit of cold rain that put a foot or more snow in the mountains. As a result, Arapahoe Basin ski resort opened this weekend, which is the first ski resort to open in North America this season. Friday Jarom and Seth's friend Trenton went up on Opening Day, and today (Saturday) Jarom went back with me so I could get my first turns of the season. A-Basin only had one run open, but it was legit and I was very happy to find that I hadn't lost my skills over the summer. I definitely want to get some lessons this season so I can improve.

Last night and this morning it was really cold, and we had some light snow. It is 24 degrees right now at 2:41pm on Saturday, and on the way to A-Basin one of the valleys up on Hwy 70 was 14 degrees. The trees were really frosted although there wasn't a lot of snow on the branches. Needless to say the flowers in the front yard probably won't survive this weekend; it is supposed to get down to 19 degrees.

Frosty trees on the way to Arapahoe Basin.


Up on top it was a beautiful clear day and actually warmer than it was in Denver. Jarom and I are sporting our new jackets (and my new pants) at the top of the run. You'll notice they have only made snow on the run; its pretty sparse elsewhere.


Jarom and I near the continental divide looking down at the front of the ski resort

Me showing off the new gear

Jarom looking tuff

1 comment:

Allie Thornbrue said...

"What a difference a day makes...just 24 little hours..."