Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mia Culpa

About six weeks ago I was driving past about four police cars with lights flashing. I slowed way down to take a look, and was immediately pulled over myself for some mysterious reason (to me at least). It turns out that it is a law in Colorado that if there is a police car with flashing lights you have to get over at least one lane unless it is clearly unsafe. I was really taken aback and decided I was going to go to court on this one since I did slow way down.

So today (Thursday) was my court date. I had with me a copy of the law and an e-mail from the E470 Toll Road people showing that their electronic sign above the freeway saying that I had to pull over OR slow down for stopped emergency police cars.

When I arrived at the court I checked in. Then I met with one of the deputy District Attorneys who reviewed my rights and had me sign a paper saying that I acknowledged my rights. They then asked me if I had any questions. I mentioned that I noticed on the form that pleading guilty with an explanation was not an option. The DA asked me what my explanation was. I told her my story and showed her the e-mail. She then offered me a plea bargain. If I plead guilty, she will reduce the charge to a vehicle maintenance charge, which only has one point against my license instead of four. I would also have to agree to complete 8 hours of community service in the next 30 days, plus pay a $75 insurance fee (instead of the fine) in case I get injured while doing my community service. Since I absolutely didn't want the citation to go on my insurance, which would definitely raise my rate more than the $75, I agreed.

So then I had to go downstairs to sign up for community service. First of all, let me say that many of the folks you see at the Community Service department are not there because of traffic violations. The guy in line in front of my had a tracking bracelet on his leg. And most people are there to do a lot more than 8 hours of service.

So I first had to fill out a form, then they ran a list of the community agencies that might need my help. Now I have to call the ones I want and see if they have any openings for community service volunteers. If they do, I take some paperwork down there and have them sign them. Then I do my hours, and turn in a completed time sheet. Then I'm done.

Some of the agencies on the list include:
  • Highlands Ranch Library
  • Highlands Ranch Recreation Center
  • Douglas County Parks and Trails
  • Chatfield State Park
  • YMCA
  • The Goodwill

While mom thinks the library gig would be a breeze, I think having to work in a library for 8 hours would drive me nuts. I'm tending towards Chatfield State Park because I'll be able to get some kind of inside scoop and maybe a hookup for later. Besides, working outdoors means that half the time you are driving around in the back of a truck or taking a break.

So once I'm back from EFY, I'll be on the chain gang. Oh Brother Where Art Thou!

2 comments:

Allie Thornbrue said...

Oh man, that's the pits. That just went into law here in Arizona. It is hard to remember sometimes.

Leah said...

Wow...from your PhD graduation to the Chain Gang. Bummer!