Monday, July 12, 2010

A Day with Elder Guthrie and Elder Smith in Poland

On my last day in Warsaw, Poland I decided to excuse myself from a lot of meetings that didn't really relate to my job and go visit Nephew Kevin down in Krakow (pronounced Krakov). It was a three-hour train ride each way. The 6:15am train was very nice and between my nap and a book the time went really fast. On the way home I got the crummy train where we were packed in tight and people had to stand and sit in the aisles for the 3-hour ride home. I had a seat but my knees and feet were touching the person facing me so I had to sit more or less motionless for the three hour ride back to Warsaw. There was no air conditioning and the sun was beating my face most of the time, but it was definitely worth it.

Kevin and his companion met me at the train station about 10am, and we visited some of the local sites that were within an easy walk. We also stopped to talk to one of their contacts that owns a souveneer shop (I bought a hat and shirt to help out with the relationship). We had a yummy lunch of "kebab" which the Elders pronounce "kaybob". We visited a castle where the Kings of Poland (and the past President) are buried. The four or five hours went be very quickly, but it was fun seeing Kevin and his companion in their area.

Outside the train station

At a castle overlooking the river that flooded in the Spring

Inside a local Catholic Church

Down in the burial crypts


A contact that they are working on

Giving directions to visitors at the castle

In the castle courtyard

Castle panorama

Ordering some kebab for lunch

Looks like a Polish taco to me


Elder Guthrie and Elder Smith in Krakow, Poland from randy guthrie on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Allie Thornbrue said...

How cool is that?!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Thank you so much! It means a lot to see the video with him in it. I'm planning a wedding right now and Michael will be the only sibling not there so I've been missing him more than usual. It seems like the boys are serving the Lord happily.
Julie Smith

Leah said...

Randy, that is SO great! What a great gift for both families. I hope you got pictures of you and Kevin. You are awesome!

scooping it up said...

All I know, is that when mark, jesse and john are on missions any extra pictures, video, contact with them would make my month. What a treat! So cool. That polish taco looks pretty good to me...

Jason and Leslie Guthrie said...

I'm sure Kevin loved it. Thanks to Randy for making the trip to visit him. It was really nice to see Kevin at work and was fun listening to him speak polish.
Jason