Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bummer! Knee Surgery on Dec 17th

On Sunday November 22nd I was running up the basement stairs when my knee gave a "pop" followed by a lot of pain that hasn't really been going away as quickly as I would have liked. I called my othopedic surgeon the next day and had my knee examined. The doctor couldn't be sure what was going on, so he order an MRI. I had that done on Monday, and I met with my doctor today (Wednesday) to hear the good news/bad news. The good news is that (from the written report) "The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are both well visualized and intact with no sign of a tear". The not so good news is "The medial meniscus has sustained a large horizontal tear of the posterior horn and mid body extending to the inferior surface of the meniscus. A moderate size joint effusion is present (swelling?) There is also a Baker's cyst approximately 2 x 2 x 5 cm in size. Since the meniscus does not have a blood supply, it can't heal by itself and I am schedule to have orthoscopic surgery on December 17th to repair the damage. I will be off my feet for 3 or 4 days (or on crutches) and then I can walk on it after that. I should be able to go skiing in February. Bummer!!!

1 comment:

Leah said...

So what's with the cyst? Did is have anything to do with the injury? Get better soon brother! Love you!!!