Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Best Sandwich in Los Angeles

I spent this past Saturday through Tuesday in Los Angeles helping out with Microsoft's student software design competition called the "Imagine Cup". While there I stayed at the Biltmore Hotel on Grand and 5th, just a couple of blocks south of the Music Center and Disney Concert Hall. Our event was held at the Orpheum Theater located at 8th and Broadway. Of course most of our fondest memories of California center around food: In N Out Burger, Kosmos Burger, Patty's, etc. No trip to LA would be complete without a stop a Philippe the Original: Home of the French Dip Sandwich. The place has been operating continuously since 1908. It required a little logistical maneuvering, but I made it on the way out and took my boss with me. Nothing has changed (including the old ladies behind the counter). The sandwich costs $5.25 and lemonade is now 60 cents, but other than that everything is still fantastic, including that hot spicy mustard. YUM!!!!




5 comments:

Allie Thornbrue said...

How fun. I never knew about that place...

Randy said...

I guess it was a Jarom and Levi kind of experience. I think we went there once or twice when you (Allie) or Staci attended those master classes at the Music Center. I first went there with my dad when I was 14 years old.

Dad

Jarom and Melissa said...

Jarom says the French dips are amazing. Looks like a fun atmosphere. The next time we're in California we'll have to hit that up.
-- Melissa

Lori Thornbrue said...

I went to a fun place to day in Logan with my sister. (I picked her up at the airport and drove her to Logan so she could drive back to Seattle with her son). We got huge thick sandwiches, chips, soda and a cookie the size of a frisbee for $4.25!!! I didn't think to take a picture of it....next time I'll know better.

Allie Thornbrue said...

So how about an update alrealdy?!