Saturday, January 8, 2011

Science Feature: Lunar Eclipse

On Monday, Dec 22nd Christmas we had a total eclipse of the moon. It started around 11pm and didn't finish until after 3am. I was having a restless night so I got up and put on my 200mm telephoto lens and captured a couple shots. Not having a great tripod made this hard (thank-you Staci for helping Mom get me a good one; I love it!) but having an image-stabilizing lens helped a lot. I'm really thinking as a grandpa I need to get a decent telescope that will take my camera body so we can do a better job when these things happen. For those of you who didn't stay up to see it, or were busy doing other things (like James and Allie finishing their Christmas video), you can see what you did or didn't miss. The last photo is the constellation known as the Pleiades, that appears in the winter sky near Orion. It is a tiny little "dipper" that you have to have good vision or good glasses and a dark sky to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO happy the tripod is working!! Great shots. We had clouds and snow that night...