Thursday, July 30, 2009

Egypt Closing Ceremonies

On the last official day of the Imagine Cup competition, we gave out awards at an outdoor venue that we built from scratch near the Pyramids. So the backdrop to the awards ceremony was the Pyramids. The night was warm, and the mosquitoes weren't too bad. Our students ended up winning five awards; more than any other country except Brazil. This doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize we have never won more than one.

This picture was taken from the award ceremony venue with my point-and-shoot. Many people have asked me for it since. I'll probably use it as my computer desktop this fall.

These are most of the US kids at the ceremony before it got dark.


This is the stage with the "Imagine Cup" on the stand.
These are my fellow US Microsoft Evangelists that came to Egypt

The stage from my seat with the Pyramids in the background as night has fallen.

Kathy Pham and Marc Pare were one of the winning teams. They won $8,000 for designing a computer program and reads the news on the Internet and rates the positive/negative sentiment on whatever subject you ask about.

Shot of the Pyramids from the stage


After the ceremony we had a closing (good-bye) party back at the hotel. Kathy and Marc and the two girls from BYU (Rachel and Tara) arrived and no one was dancing so they grabbed some random guys standing around (most from Africa) and got it started. After about 30 minutes they were surrounded by admirers who must have thought they were the coolest Amercan girls ever. Rachel and Tara totally take credit for really making the party happen. Notice all the guys filming the girls. So funny! Afterwards Rachel was surrounded by guys asking for her Facebook or e-mail or whatever. Tara had to leave earlier to catch her plane home to the despair of her many admirers.

2 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

Love the potential desktop picture. Aren't you glad you have a point and shoot camera handy to get moments like that? I think it's pretty awesome that the pyramids are in the background of your pictures. I'm glad you d a good experience in Egypt. Pretty crazy dance party.
-- Melissa

Leah said...

Love, love, love all the pictures. I'm sure I'll never get there myself. It's so nice to share your experiences. Dancing is a great way to celebrate....I prefer dancing to good old rock and roll!